Friday, February 3, 2012

Washington or Wall Street? Which is the problem?

I read an op-ed recently about how the real problem is not Wall Street but Washington.  Bradley Schiller was making the argument that the "1 percent" is made up of many who have made our world better, like Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, and Steve Jobs of Apple.

Not that I want to speak ill of the dead, but wasn't Steve Jobs a huge jerk?  I have to admit, I am not an Apple aficionado, but I am also not a "hater" (though I did find it horrifying that the working conditions in one of their factories in China was so bad that workers were committing suicide-- and Apple did not do anything about it until the news media reported on it and caused a scandal).

While I have a Facebook account, and like how it helps me stay connected with friends I might lose touch with otherwise, I also find myself wishing for an alternative on a regular basis.  I also find it annoying that I need to check my privacy settings almost every time I log in, just to make sure that Facebook didn't "helpfully" change something for me, or add something new with the default setting being privacy free (surely so I wouldn't have to track it down to enable it, since I must want to share everything with the world if I have a Facebook account, right?).  I mean, there is a reason Facebook had to make a settlement with the FCC.

I'm not saying everyone who is rich is evil.  I can agree with Bradley Schiller on Warren Buffet, for example, and would like to add that Buffet himself has pointed out that it is unfair that he is paying less in taxes than his secretary.  Also, there is a group of wealthy people pushing for their tax bracket to start paying their fair share, which just made some politicians sulky-- one enough to spat out that if the group wanted to send checks to the IRS, nothing was stopping them.  Yes, Washington has plenty of the blame, and the wealthy are not all evil monsters keeping us down.

I just am of the belief that most of the time, the blame lies in a couple of places, if not everywhere.  Wall Street has a bit of blame here too, so can't we start admitting that the whole system is broken?


No comments:

Post a Comment